39 Indians kidnapped by ISIS in Mosul three years ago are dead, Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj told in the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday (20 March).
She said, 'Deep penetration radar confirmed that all Indians were dead after all bodies were exhumed.'
Sushma Swaraj said that the mortal remains were sent to Baghdad.
She added, 'For verification of bodies DNA samples of relatives were sent there, four state government - Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, West Bengal and Bihar were involved.'
The foreign minister further said, 'Yesterday (Monday) we got information that DNA samples of 38 people have matched and DNA of the 39th person has matched 70 per cent.'
Sushma Swaraj also informed that Minister of State for External Affairs General VK Singh will go to Iraq to bring back mortal remains of Indians killed.
'The plane carrying mortal remains will first go to Amritsar, then to Patna and then to Kolkata.' said Swaraj
The group of Indian labourers, mostly from Punjab, was taken hostage by ISIS when it overran Iraq's second largest city Mosul in 2014. The workers were trying to leave Mosul when they were intercepted.
In July last year, Swaraj had firmly said in the Parliament that she would not declare the 39 Indians dead without concrete proof or evidence.
'It is a sin to declare a person dead without concrete evidence. I will not do this sin,' Swaraj said in a statement in the Lok Sabha in 2017.
Earlier, India had asked Iraq for help in locating the missing Indians after Iraqi forces recaptured Mosul from IS.
In 2017, Sushma Swaraj had told the families of the workers that an Iraqi official, quoting intelligence sources, had told VK Singh that the Indians were made to work at a hospital construction site and then shifted to a farm before they were put in a jail in Badush.
March 20, 2018